Warren C. Powell Jr.
A native of Columbia, South Carolina, Warren earned his Bachelors of Arts degree from The Citadel in 1974 and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1977. After graduation, Warren was an associate in the Belser Law Firm from 1977-81 and a partner in the firm of Belser, Baker, Barwick, Ravenel, Toal and Bender from 1981-1991. With the late Jim Bruner, Warren formed the law firm of Bruner Powell in 1991.
Warren primarily focuses his practice on the representation of legal and insurance professionals. He takes pride in having litigated extensively on behalf of attorneys, law firms, insurance agents, and independent insurance agencies in cases that frequently involve complex legal and coverage issues. Warren also handles cases in the commercial law and construction areas and has briefed and argued numerous cases before appellate courts. From 1989-1998, Warren was appointed by South Carolina Supreme Court to serve on the Court’s Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competence.
Warren is listed in Best Lawyers in the area of legal malpractice defense and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a member of the DC Bar and is admitted to practice before Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and US Supreme Court. Warren has done extensive trial work over the years and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
- South Carolina Bar
- District of South Carolina
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar 5th Judicial Circuit Committee on the Resolution of Fee Disputes (Former Member)
- American Bar Association Section on Lawyers’ Professional Liability
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)