E. Wade Mullins III
A native of Columbia, South Carolina, Wade attended Vanderbilt University where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science in 1990. After graduation, Wade worked in Washington, DC for the United States House of Representatives, House Rules Committee from 1990-91. Wade returned to South Carolina to attend the University of South Carolina School of Law where he received his law degree in 1994. After admission to the Bar, Wade practiced with a large regional firm until 1999 when he and his partner, Hank Wall, joined Bruner Powell.
At Bruner Powell, Wade’s practice encompasses all aspects of construction law, including representation of general contractors, owners, subcontractors, architects, engineers and sureties in contract negotiation, interpretation, bid protests, claims negotiation, mediation, arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Wade also practices general and business litigation, including contract disputes and product liability.
In his administrative law practice, Wade represents clients in state and local procurement matters, including solicitation and proposal review, contract negotiation and participation in administrative review. Additionally, Wade has represented health care providers in a variety of issues, including but not limited to medical staff credentialing, peer review cases, and healthcare transactions. He has also helped clients through the Certificate of Need permitting and appeal process before the Department of Health and Environmental Control and Administrative Law Court. He represents corporations and professionals before the Board of Medical Examiners, the Board of Pharmacy and other boards under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Labor Licensing and Regulation.
Wade is married to the former Katy Jones, and they have four daughters. In his spare time, Wade enjoys running, fishing, and other outdoor activities, and he is an active volunteer at Heathwood Hall Episcopal School and Trinity Episcopal Cathedral.
Wade is listed in Best Lawyers in the areas of Administrative/Regulatory Law, Construction Law, Litigation-Construction, and Litigation-Healthcare. For 2024, Wade has been selected as Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year in Construction. In 2022, Wade was Lawyer of the Year in the area of Administrative/Regulatory Law. Wade and is rated Distinguished with High Ethical Standing by Martindale-Hubbell. He is also listed as a Super Lawyer in the areas of Construction Litigation, Health Care, and Government Contracts. In 2023, Wade was recognized again as one of Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite of the Midlands for healthcare law.
- South Carolina Jurisprudence and The South Carolina Environmental Compliance Update, contributing and published author
- South Carolina Environmental Compliance Update, Editor
- Environmental Law Journal, Administrative Law Editor
- South Carolina Bar
- District of South Carolina
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry (Litigation Section Member)
- South Carolina Bar Association, Construction Law Section (Past Chairman) and Health Law Section
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee and Alternative Dispute Resolution Subcommittee (Past Chairman)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- South Carolina Administrative and Regulatory Law Association (SCAARLA)
- Carolina Children’s Home (The Hearth Center for Eating Disorders) (Member of Board of Directors)
- Episcopal Housing Corporation (Finlay House) (Member of Board of Directors)
- Richland County Transportation Commission (Member)
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School (Former Alumni Council President and Past Chairman of Board of Trustees)
- Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Vestry
- Girl Scouts of the Congaree, Inc. (Former Member of Board of Directors and Member of Long Range Planning Committee)
- Downtown Columbia Lions Club (Former Member)