Warren C. Powell Jr.
A native of Columbia, South Carolina, Warren earned his Bachelors of Arts degree from The Citadel in 1974 and his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1977. After graduation, Warren was an associate in the Belser Law Firm from 1977-81 and a partner in the firm of Belser, Baker, Barwick, Ravenel, Toal and Bender from 1981-1991. From 1989-1998, Warren was appointed by South Carolina Supreme Court to serve on the Supreme Court’s Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competence.
With James L. Bruner, Warren formed the law firm of Bruner Powell in 1991, which later became Bruner, Powell, Wall & Mullins in 1999. As a founding member, Warren concentrates his practice in the representation of parties in the legal profession and insurance industry. He also handles cases in the commercial and construction area. He has litigated extensively in lawyers’ professional liability cases, including the representation of law firms in the defense of legal malpractice claims and in the representation of parties in matters involving insurance coverage.
A partial listing of Warren’s clients includes the Attorneys Liability Protection Society, Gulf Insurance Company, The Travelers, Westport Insurance Company, Swiss Reinsurance Company, Employers Reinsurance, Endurance Insurance, Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company, General Star Management Company, Monitor Liability Managers, LLC, Correll Insurance Group, and Admiral Insurance Company.
Warren is listed in Best Lawyers in the area of defense of lawyers’ professional liability claims and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Mauldin v. Heide, No. 2014-UP-081, 2014 WL 2579942, (S.C. Ct. App. Feb. 26, 2014)
- Kimmer v. Wright, 396 S.C. 53, 719 S.E.2d 265 (Ct. App. 2011)
- Bennett v. Investors Title Ins. Co., 370 S.C. 578, 635 S.E.2d 649 (Ct. App. 2006)
- Hoisington v. MacNeille, No. 2004-UP-274, 2004 WL 6251602 (S.C. Ct. App. April 21, 2004)
- Mowrer v. Charleston Cnty. Park & Rec. Comm’n, 361 S.C. 476, 605 S.E.2d 563 (Ct. App. 2004)
- Town of Olanta v. Floyd & Epps, Attorneys at Law, Case No. 98-CP-21-0998, Opinion No. 2003 UP 490
- Douglass ex rel. Louthian v. Boyce, 344 S.C. 5, 542 S.E.2d 715 (2001)
- West v. Gladney, 341 S.C. 127, 533 S.E.2d 334 (Ct. App. 2000)
- Douglass ex rel. Louthian v. Boyce, 336 S.C. 318, 519 S.E.2d 802 (Ct. App. 1999)
- Middleborough Horizontal Prop. Regime Council of Co-owners v. Montedison S.P.A., 320 S.C. 470, 465 S.E.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1995)
- Xanadu Horizontal Prop. Regime v. Ocean Walk Horizontal Prop. Regime, 306 S.C. 170, 410 S.E.2d 580 (Ct. App. 1991) cert. denied 465 S.E.2d 765 (1992)
- Hilton Head Island Beach & Tennis Resort v. Sea Cabin Corp., 305 S.C. 517, 409 S.E.2d 434 (Ct. App. 1991)
- Estate of William Wesley Bates v. United American Insurance Company, Memorandum Opinion No. 79-25 (S.C. Supreme Ct. 1979)
- Supreme Court of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for District of Columbia
- American Bar Association; Section on Lawyers’ Professional Liability
- South Carolina Bar Association; 5th Judicial Circuit Committee on the Resolution of Fee Disputes (Former Member)
- Richland County Bar Association