Benjamin C. Bruner
A native of Columbia, Ben graduated from Woodberry Forest School in Virginia and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He earned his J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law, where he was awarded the Robert McCormick Figg, Jr. Trial Advocacy Award and the Claud Sapp Award for scholarship, industry, and leadership. Ben also served as president of the USC School of Law Pro Bono Board while in law school and is currently a member of the Pro Bono Advisory Council. After law school, Ben served as a law clerk for the Honorable G. Thomas Cooper, Jr. of Camden, South Carolina before joining Bruner Powell as an associate and becoming a partner.
Understanding that no two companies or projects are alike, Ben takes a practical approach to each client based on that client’s goals and circumstances. During his practice, Ben has gained experience in both trial and appellate courts in South Carolina, federal court, arbitration, and administrative proceedings. He has handled cases involving construction law, professional negligence defense, collection of judgments, commercial collections, as well as business and general litigation. With respect to the construction industry, Ben has represented owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, builders, and design professionals in a wide array of construction projects ranging from single family homes to commercial buildings to heavy highway construction. He has represented clients in contract negotiation and drafting, contract default claims, termination claims, delay and acceleration claims, mechanic’s liens, performance and payment bond claims, defective workmanship and construction defect claims, insurance coverage for construction defect claims, and claims on public projects related to bid protests and contract disputes. Ben is currently a Member of the South Carolina Bar Construction Law Section Council.
- Boykin Contr., Inc. v. Kirby, 405 S.C. 631, 748 S.E.2d 795 (Ct. App. 2013)
- Crossmann Cmtys. of N.C., Inc. v. Harleysville Mut. Ins. Co., 395 S.C. 40, 717 S.E.2d 589 (2011)
- South Carolina Bar
- U.S. District Court of South Carolina
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Construction Law Section Council
- Richland County Bar
- Star of the Quarter Award, South Carolina Young Lawyers Division, 2014
- Claud Sapp Award, 2008
- Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award, 2008
- President, Pro Bono Board, University of South Carolina School of Law, 2007-2008
- Robert McCormick Figg, Jr. Trial Advocacy Award, 2007